Today, Sunday, was first day of school for kids. We walked about 8 minutes to the school (across only 1 major road, where I become what Josh calls, "stressed" to keep all 6 of us from getting hit by crazy drivers) and then enter security gate. Kids loved their first day. PE is outside and they are doing track and field stuff now, so hurdles and high jump for all. Rebekah seemed to get her rotating schedule down well. Emma, Elisabeth and Josh all received letters from their whole class welcoming them....they ALL knew we were coming and are impressed by our "very large" family, as one secretary discreetly put it to me:) I think the kids will like it and will make friends quickly. Elisabeth is only one who is still planning on heading back to DC/Maryland any day now, though she is doing better with each passing day.
On Saturday, weekend day, we walked to the famous road 9. Turns out the big shopping street is really just a bunch of little shops with all the trinkets you would expect to find in a touristy place, but there is some beautiful alabaster, jewelry, metal pots, wooden creations and of course a McDonalds (WITH a playland) and a Baskin Robins shop, which was actually cheaper than US....things are looking up:) HAHA
Love to all....oh, and if you read about the bomb today (Sunday) in Cairo, don't
9 comments:
WOw! Your day was much more exciting than mine! What adventures you are going to have!
I'm not stalking you I promise :) I love the first day of school picture. Can I just say that Ryan thinks it is super cool that he knows someone who actually goes to church on Friday and school on Sunday. Have a great week!
WHOA!!! It sounds so amazing (and crazy) over there! I can understand with the no rules driving...freaky at first but you get used to it!
I love your jacket by the way Bek, the one you wore to the first day of school. I"m so glad you guys are all there and well and are getting the hang of things! I miss you!
Hey Houses!!!!!!!!!!! We are happy that you made it safely to Egypt! Now enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime experience! I must say that primary seemed empty without all of your smiling faces, but your ward (or branch) in Egypt will definitely be blessed by having you attend. We miss you! Take care! We will be reading your blog!
xoxoxo Terry
So glad you made it safe and sound! Heard through the grapevine that you met the other family from Kensington. How funny that you go around the world to meet a family from your same neighborhood! I did read about the scare in Cairo. Thanks for letting us know you are all okay. I keep looking across the street for your car in the driveway....boo hoo!
glad you are doing well! We loved the pictures!We miss you very much!
McDonald's with a playland?! That'll do for a few years. ;-)
Greetings House family,
Wow, what an incredible adventure! I am enjoying your blog spot - it feels like you're just next door (and 7000 miles away.)I love your sense of adventure and I know that your amazing spirit is infectious - the kids will have an awesome experience with you and Brent as their guides. Well, all is well here. We just had Martin's surprise birthday party at the house and 88 of our closest friends/family shared his special day. It was amazing - like planning a surprise wedding! we topped it off with a surprise cruise to the Bahamas. His family and mu family went along with Carlos, Kim and Peyton. They asked after you and send their regards.
Zoe was really sad she didn't get a chance to say goodbye on the phone. I told her that good friends are always in our heart and on the internet (ha,ha) we will keep in touch and pray for your health, safety and happiness in your new ventures.
Love,
Caryn and the DeVincenti Clan
Hey Amiee, Brent and the Fam,
So glad you have a blog we can tune into! Great to hear things are well and that you are finding some familiar things over there.
I'm already planning your returen : ) Jeff says they have a malaria research consortium among all the universities in the state of Florida so no doubt Brent will have to come head that up when he's done over there : )
-Missing you all,
Carol
Post a Comment